Saturday, August 16, 2014

Week 1: My Favorite Place

I am, and will always be, a Pure Michigan kid at heart.

I was born and raised in this pleasant peninsula. I grew up in the Detroit area, known for its beautiful skyline:

The skyline of Detroit at night. Source: Wikipedia.

Detroiters take pride in having four major sports teams: the Tigers (baseball), Pistons (basketball), Lions (football), and Red Wings (hockey).

Ford Field and Comerica Park, home of the Lions and 
the Tigers, respectively. Source: Wikipedia.

Detroit has been dubbed 'Hockeytown' by the Red Wings. Source: Wikipedia.

Residents lovingly call Detroit the Motor City. Each year, the Woodward Dream Cruise is the best place to go to see classic cars, and the North American International Auto Show is perfect to see the latest in automotive technology. Past, present, and future car enthusiasts can enjoy it all in one city.

A line-up of classic cars at the Woodward Dream Cruise.
Photo by Hemmings Daily.

Photo of a Lamborghini Aventador at the North American International
Auto Show in Detroit. Source: Flickr.

Finally, the arts district of Detroit is varied and exciting. Detroit is Motown, where greats like Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, The Jackson 5, and many more artists began their musical careers.

The Motown Museum, home of Hitsville, U.S.A. Source: Wikipedia.

Detroit is also home to the beautiful Max Fisher Theater, also known as Orchestra Hall, as well as the Detroit Opera House, both of which host regular performances of the world-famous Detroit Symphony Orchestra.

 Above: The Max M. Fisher Music Hall, where the DSO
rehearses and performs. Source: Wikipedia.
Below: The Detroit Opera House overlooking Grand Circus Park.
Source: Wikipedia.

Detroit is a beautiful and vibrant city. Whatever your interests, Detroit is a lovely place to visit!

The Spirit of Detroit statue in Downtown Detroit. Source: Wikipedia.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Chelsea, thank you SO MUCH for all these great pictures. I especially love "The Spirit of Detroit" ... what an incredibly cool image! I have never seen that before... and I am going to go pin it to the Myth-Folklore Pinterest Board right now and put it in the class Twitter too. Fabulous: it really is a captivating image! Thank you for sharing all the pictures here, and I hope you will enjoy the class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend from Michigan but I have never visited her there, but now I definitely want to! It looks really cool and fun there. The Motown Museum, the Detroit Opera House, and the Max M. Fisher Music Hall would be really neat to visit. I know her and her boyfriend have go to a Lions game and I think that would be really fun too even though I'm not really a huge fan of pro football!

    ReplyDelete