Thursday, October 16, 2014

Week 9 Storytelling: Creation

Life under the sea is all I have ever known.  It may seem boring, but I am content--I love to explore the depths with my friends. I have fond memories from when we were young crawfish of taking turns diving and seeing who could touch the ocean floor first.

For as long as I can remember, I have been friends with the Creator. Maybe the immediate attachment was because there weren't many other creatures with which to socialize, or just because I have always been intrigued by the being that He is and want to get to know him better. Either way, I've developed a close relationship with Him.

One day, during the early days of the Earth, He asked me for a favor. He requested that I dig up some earth from the bottom of the ocean so that He could have land upon which to set His new creation, Man. Of course, I was honored and agreed. For the next few days, I used the diving skills that I had acquired in my youth to reach the sea floor and pinch some mud between my claws. When I brought this mud up, I was surprised to see that it automatically spread out, creating vast amounts of dry land. 'This Creator really is something,' I thought to myself in awe.

This land came to be known as Natchez, and the Creator's next step was to bring Man into existence in this area. At first, I was frustrated by the naivete and unruliness of these beings--they did not heed the warnings that the Creator gave them, and therefore caused Him much grief. To solve this problem, the Creator sent down a substance that would calm the humans and make them less rambunctious.

I continued observing through the ages as He taught Man how to survive in the bitter wilderness with the help of Woman and other animals He created. Gradually, I was happy to see that they began to show the respect and honor to the Creator that He deserved. The tribe lived happily for many years.

Crawfish on land, observing Man's interactions. Source: LA Tech.

-----

Author's note: This week, I retold the story of Creation from the Chitimacha people of Louisiana. This story detailed the order of events in the creation of the Earth from the perspective of the Chitimacha: at first, the sea and fish were created, then the Great Mystery sent down humans after Crawfish dug up some dry land. Afterwards, the humans had to learn how to fend for themselves, and the Creator graciously teaches them through the wise words of their animal companions.

As I was reading the original story, I got the feeling that the humans did not respect the Creator very much at first, and I wanted to show a tone of reverence throughout. I told this story from the perspective of the Crawfish because he was one of the first things ever made, and therefore feels honored to be in the presence of the Creator. It is because of this, then, that he feels frustrated when the humans are disrespectful when they first come to Earth, and that he feels relieved and glad when they eventually learn that they would not be able to survive without Him.

4 comments:

  1. Chelsea,

    I enjoyed reading your remake this week! I love learning how different cultures viewed "creation," and the Chitimacha people had an interesting take. Considering their location I can see the crawfishes input, but it is definitely something I never would have thought of relating to creation. Since I haven't read the original, I like how you made the crawfish your narrator and gave him your opinions on the new humans. Great job, and a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chelsea,

    I really enjoyed reading your retelling of Creation! I did not read this particular unit, so I am glad that you gave the essential information in your author’s note; it was very helpful! Also, I liked that you told the story from the crawfish’s point of view. This was such a creative idea and very fitting since the crawfish had always had so much respect for the Creator. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chelsea, what an interesting story! I love when people put lots of information about the original story in their Author's Note to help me better understand their retelling of the story. I really liked the way you retold this story from the crawfish's perspective. I think I also really liked this story because I am from Louisiana and I LOVE crawfish! Haha I might have to read this unit this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chelsea, I really like your take on this creation story. We, as humans, definitely seem to not respect the earth that we've been given. So I really like that you focused on the crawfish's reverence and respect for his ceator. It's a great change of perspective! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete