Monday, November 3, 2014

Week 11: Famous Last Words

Whew! This has been a hectic week. I realized that I haven't done a Famous Last Words post since the very beginning of the semester. After this week, I thought it might be a good idea to gather my thoughts and reflect on what I have been doing lately, and hopefully get organized so that I can finish the semester on a good note.

This past week was the first time I have missed a Storytelling post. Even though I loved the unit that I read (The Canterbury Tales), I had trouble coming up with ideas to retell any of the stories in that unit. Most of that was because my mind has been elsewhere this past week, and I have been too stressed to sort through my jumbled thoughts.

Let me explain myself: I am a junior pre-med student, as some might know from my introduction. I guess about this time in such a student's undergraduate career is when things start to get really crazy. I am scheduled to take the MCAT in January, so I've been studying for that. I also found out over the summer about the MedStart program at the University of Toledo where students apply in the fall of their junior year and no MCAT score is necessary (so the exam in January would be a backup plan if I do not get accepted into this program). Understandably, this was an attractive option for me, so I decided to apply. The deadline to do so was October 31, and while I had most of my materials done beforehand, I got some last-minute feedback on my personal statement, so I felt rushed to fix and submit it.

Moral of this story: I need to stop and take a deep breath every once in a while, and better time management skills might help in this area as well. In the coming weeks, this will be my goal: to be more organized and less stressed.

Maybe smarter use of a planner would help. Source: Pixabay.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, the old MCAT days. I took it mine almost a year ago, and I assure you that it doesn't seem that long ago. While I cannot speak to the style or difficulty of the new test, I can say that most people overemphasize the amount of content you need to learn. From experience, it's much more about critically thinking and how well you can read the minds of the test makers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have been very busy! I don't know exactly how you feel since I am not a pre-med student, but I definitely understand your hectic schedule. I have had quite the semester this fall, and sometimes I just haven't had enough time to do everything. The thing I love about this class is that if I have too much homework or too much studying to do for a test that I can't get all of my work for this class done, there are so many extra credit opportunities in this class that I can make up for it. That has been one of my favorite parts about this class for sure! Good luck with managing your time! It is so hard sometimes, but I love the feeling of having plenty of time to get my work done!! Good luck with your MCAT! I am sure you are going to do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah the MCAT! Just typing the word freaks me out. I was pre-med up until this semester before I decided that med school just wasn't what I wanted to do. Time management is something I struggle with especially when you're trying to find the balance between schoolwork and resting. I have the tendency to feel guilty if I'm not doing something school related at all times but sometimes you seriously do need to take a step back and give yourself a break. It's okay to sit still sometimes...but not for too long...ha ha. Therein lies the balance. Good luck with everything! I'm sure you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete